|Curried cod, carrots, leeks and potatoes|
Friday night after a long week at work and recovering from a cold... last thing I wanted to do tonight was cook dinner but Mr Kate was out at a meeting and duty called.
I dragged myself away from the sofa and quickly threw a meal together using a pack of Waitrose skinless and boneless cod fillets reduced from £4.73 £1.53.
Here's how to make this easy curried cod with carrots, leeks and potatoes:
1) Peel a carrot and a few potatoes and slice into rounds.
2) Par-boil for about 10 minutes.
3) Chop a leek.
4) Heat some oil (I used lemony olive oil) in a roasting dish in the oven.
5) Drain the potatoes and carrots and mix in the chopped leeks with a generous sprinkling of curry powder and a teaspoon or two of chopped garlic and ginger (I used a ready made jar of garlic and ginger that I keep in my fridge for when I'm feeling lazy!).
6) Chop a lemon into wedges and add to the veg mixture.
7) Throw into the roasting dish and pop in the oven for about five minutes.
8) Place the cod fillets on top and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
9) Serve and enjoy! The baked lemon wedges turn deliciously squidgy and you can scoop out the flesh and juice and spread all over the fish and veg.
Hardly gourmet but great for a quick midweek dinner.
And the grand total? Just £2 to serve the two of us. Friday night fish supper on the cheap - DONE!