Wednesday 30 April 2014

Day 3 #Below The Line: 94p for three meals

Day 3 #Below The Line: 94p for three meals

Today was very much a game of two halves in the #BelowTheLine challenge. I spent very little on breakfast and lunch so we could enjoy a decent meal in the evening using some reduced pork fillet. So by the time I got home I was more than ready for dinner and delighted to see that Mr Kate was already cooking away in the kitchen. Which was a good job because I had been craving cups of tea at work and having to stick to water - I was ready for a proper feed!

So here's how the day went...

2p breakfast = Two plain slices of toast from our reduced loaf - some peanut butter would have gone down nicely!


15p lunch = The last two slices of Quorn and another reduced roll with a 5p reduced soup.

Dull, dull, dull - I'm used to a much livelier lunchbox than this!


14p afternoon snack = Two reduced clementines



63p dinner = Reduced pork fillet, new potatoes and spinach.


How did we manage to eat pork fillet from Waitrose on the #BelowTheLine challenge? Well, the pork was reduced from £4.02 to 59p! We had half the fillet each with a quarter of a bag of potatoes which were reduced to 39p for the bag. Add to that a quarter of a bag of spinach reduced to 55p so the total for each ingredient was:

Pork - 59p
Spinach - 27.5p
Potatoes - 19.5p
Herbs and oil - 20p

So the meal cost £1.26 for two - just 63p each!

That means a grand total of 94p for three meals and two pieces of fruit!

Quite amazing how far a pound can go if you plan really well and hunt down the bargains - but I'm lucky in that I'm not living below the line for real. I have a freezer, a fridge and all the utensils I need to make my pound a day stretch as far as possible. People living in real poverty don't have that luxury. If you've enjoyed reading my blog and have a pound or two to spare, please do sponsor me at: https://www.livebelowtheline.com/me/katebarrett

All the money raised goes to The Global Poverty Project who are working to help people less fortunate around the world. To everyone who has donated so far - thank you!

4 comments:

  1. blimey that's a good reduction on the pork.I don't have a waitrose, only Tesco, Asda & Sainsbury. Yes they do reduced price but very mean reductions (even at the end of the day). It doesn't help when they are open 24hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame! Keep trying different times of the day and you never know, you might get lucky!

      Delete
  2. I just found you link via the Daily Mail and I must say that Waitrose offer some of the best deals (I am probably bias because I work there!) and the best time is around 8pm till closing. The bakeries reductions are also ridiculous with some "fancy" pastries on offer at 5p! Keep an eye out.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Waitrose - definitely the best reduced bargains around!

      Delete